Friday, December 22, 2006

Touchy connection strings

My ASP.NET 2.0 / SQL Server 2005 application was working perfectly in my development environment but I experienced the following error message when testing deployment in a Windows 2003 virtual machine:

"A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.)".

My connection string was:

Server=localhost;Database=myDB;Integrated Security=SSPI;

Simply changing it to the following solved the issue:

Data Source=.;Initial Catalog=myDB;Integrated Security=True;

Considering both shared memory and TCP/IP where enabled in both environments, I can neither explain why the issue occurred or why the change above solved it. If someone can, please leave a comment.

No comments: